An omnibus conveyed the four men along a scenic boulevard to the central plaza: an immaculate area, paved with slabs of polished granite. At the center, fountains played around the base of a heroic statue celebrating the legendary locator Hans van der Veeke who had first set foot upon the world Archimbal. He was depicted wearing a black frock coat and a flat black hat. His pose was portentous, with one great arm raised on high, saluting generations of the future.Transcript follows.
April 16, 1999
Dear Hans van der Veeke —
Thanks very much for your letter.
1. Regarding my eyesight. I use a large font on my computer but it doesn't help much. I rely more on my voice synthesizer box.
2. I use Holland occasionally, when mentioning Old Earth, because I'm familiar with it.
3. I had to give up the mystery genre because the books were not making any money; Science Fiction did better.
4. My health is improved, but I'm not currently planning any visits to Holland. Thanks for your offer to show me around the north.
5. I will include your name in my present work.
Sincerely, Jack Vance
(Written by my wife, Norma)